top of page
New Brighton Pier at sunrise, Christchur

Disclosure Document

This document contains information about who we are, what we are able to advise on, how we get paid, our complaints handling processes, responsibilities, duties, and more. Please ensure you have downloaded and read a copy of this. Information in this document is summarised below.

Areas of Advice

Aynsley and Associates are fully able to advise you on matters relating to the purchase, renewal, and claiming of life and health insurance products which are issued by New Zealand life insurance companies. we hold agencies with the following and can place business with these companies without restriction:

AIA, AMP, Asteron, Accuro, Fidelity Life, nib, Cigna, Partners Life and Southern Cross.

This includes life, trauma, permanent disability, income protection, and health insurance.

In providing you with financial/insurance advice, we will only consider existing term life, trauma, income protection and health insurance policies (if any). We will not provide advice on existing whole of life or endowment products, so you will need to consult a specialist if you would like advice on those products.

What we don't Advise on

Insurance is a very large topic. We are not qualified to advise on general insurance, such as covering your house, contents, cars, boats, pets, travel, public liability, professional indemnity etc.


We also do not give any legal, accounting, or investment advice. We do not handle any client’s money and do not assist with the arrangement of Mortgages or KiwiSaver products. However, we have a vast network of professionals to whom we regularly refer our clients. If we refer clients to a general insurance broker, we may be paid a commission for the referral.


Aynsley and Associates do not charge fees, expenses, or any other amount for the implementation of life or health insurance policies on individual clients. Aynsley and Associates may charge a fee for the implementation of a group insurance policy.

Whether a fee will be charged and the manner in which it will be charged will be advised when advice is given to the client.


Aynsley and Associates do not charge you for the advice provided. Instead, if we place a new insurance policy on your life with an insurance company, we will receive a payment from the insurer which will be paid upon the policy commencing.


We will also receive an ongoing payment for the duration of the policy. These payments vary between insurers but are generally exceed 150% of the first year’s premium paid upfront, and ongoing commissions are generally between 5-20% of the ongoing premium. The ongoing commissions are affected by the size of the upfront payment. If Aynsley and Associates refer a client to another insurance broker, we may also receive a commission.

Conflicts of Interest

As a provider of professional financial advisory services, we have a legislative obligation to act in the interests of our clients when making a recommendation. In providing advice to you, should any, actual or potential conflict of interest arise then I undertake to bring any such conflict of interest to your notice so that you may assess my advice objectively.

Aynsley and Associates and our financial advisors receive commissions from the providers on products we give financial advice. If you decide to take out insurance, the provider will pay a commission to your financial advisor. The amount of commission is based on the amount of insurance.

From time to time, product providers may also reward us for the overall business we provide to them. They may give us tickets to sports events, hampers, or other incentives.


To ensure that our financial advisers prioritise the client’s interests above their own, we follow an advice process that ensures my recommendations are made on the basis of the client’s goals and circumstances. We also undergo annual training about how to manage conflicts of interest. Aynsley and Associates maintain registers of conflicts of interests, and the gifts and incentives we receive. We monitor these registers and provide additional training where necessary. Aynsley and Associates also perform an annual review of our compliance program.


It is important and your responsibility to provide Aynsley and Associates with accurate information during the information gathering phase of our service. If incomplete or inaccurate information is provided, we may not be able to provide advice for you.


Without relevant and correct information about your personal, financial, and/or medical situation, there is a chance we deliver advice that is not appropriate for your needs. If you are unsure as to why we need certain information, please do not hesitate to ask us so we can explain.

Making a Complaint

If you are not satisfied with our financial advice service, you can make a complaint by
emailing, or by calling: 03 374 9955. You can also write to us at: Level 3, 329 Durham Street North, Christchurch 8041.


When we receive a complaint, we will consider it following our internal complaints

  • We will consider your complaint and let you know how we intend to resolve it. We may need to contact you to get further information about your complaint.

  • We aim to resolve complaints within 10 working days of receiving them. If we can’t, we will contact you within that time to let you know we need more time to consider your complaint.

  • We will contact you by phone or email to let you know whether we can resolve your complaint and how we propose to do so. If you are not satisfied with how I have managed your complaint after you have been through our internal complaints process, there are free and independent dispute resolution services available to you.


If we can’t resolve your complaint, or you aren’t satisfied with the way we propose to do so, you can contact the Financial Dispute Resolution Service. The Financial Dispute Resolution Service can consider most complaints involving financial services providers.


This service will cost you nothing and will help us resolve disagreements. Their website can be found here:

If your complaint is about how we handle your personal information, you can also contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner:

PO Box 10 094 The Terrace Wellington 6143 0800 803 909


Aynsley and Associates, and anyone who gives financial advice on our behalf, have duties under the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 relating to the way that we give advice. We are required to:

  • Give priority to your interests by taking all reasonable steps to make sure our advice isn’t materially influenced by our own interests.

  • Exercise care, diligence, and skill in providing you with advice.

  • Meet standards of competence, knowledge and skill set by the Code of Professional Conduct for Financial Advice Services (these are designed to make sure that we have the expertise needed to provide you with advice)

  • Meet standards of ethical behaviour, conduct and client care set by the Code of Professional Conduct for Financial Advice Services (these are designed to make sure we treat you as we should, and give you suitable advice).


This is only a summary of the duties that we have. More information is available by contacting us, or by visiting the Financial Markets Authority website at

bottom of page